Sunday, April 10, 2011

"We are the Undead..."

What does one do on a lazy Sunday? Read and write a blog I guess.

I got this from a webcomic I read today, and It's interesting that the origin of the zombie genre just might be a Smurfs storyline (it seems this came out almost a decade before Mr. Romero released his epic, Night of the Living Dead). The story goes that Lazy Smurf got bit by an insect that made him "black" & crazy and started biting (on the butt) other Smurfs which turned them into black Smurfs as well. According to the wiki post, Papa Smurf solved their Black Smurf/zombie problem the only way he can (but come on, if you have just one female in your society, I'm pretty sure all the males would try to eat/kill each other).


If there's any genre that creeps me out but still has me as a repeat customer, it's zombie films. I even watched this suckfest (although I did like the premise that a strain of rabies can send us on a frenzy). I even played them video games like Resident Evil - I also admit that playing Left for Dead during our MBA program at AIM was a great stress reliever (or time-waster depending on who you ask).

Out of boredom and intrigue, I came up with the following list of top ten things zombie, regardless of format/platform:

  1. Best Reference Book on Zombies - Max Brooks' survival guide is highly informative (to a probably insane level); if all else fails, make sure you get the hardbound edition and use it to whack some zombie brains
  2. Best Handheld Zombie Video Game - yeah, I just gave a link to the desktop version but Plants Vs. Zombies on my iPod got the most airtime out of my device beyond Led Zeppelin and Metallica
  3. Best First Person Shooter Zombie Game - I already mentioned it earlier so yeah, Left For Dead takes the cake on this one
  4. Best Black & White Zombie film - duh.
  5. Best Modern Zombie film - this probably would be a tie with 28 Days Later, but I'll go for a Romero-inspired film (and also because the Londoner/Irish accents can be very thick to follow). Running and relentless zombies?! Show me the reset button, sir!
  6. Best Zombie B-movie - The movie that made Bruce Campbell a household name. I don't think I even saw its prequels. Army of Darkness rules.
  7. Best Zombie comic series - Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead is a must-read.
  8. Best Zombie television series - another duh moment. If you haven't watched the first 6-episode season yet of The Walking Dead adaptation, start downloading - I mean - go buy the DVD!
  9. Best "Zombie" name - Rob Zombie, hands down.
  10. Best Zombie song - I'm from the Nineties, so this anthem from the Cranberries edges out this song.

Zombies are creepy. I guess it wouldn't hurt to figure out what I need when the apocalypse lead by the un-dead comes. (as best practice, I'll probably see if I can attach a chainsaw to my hand or find mutant pea-shooting plants or maybe start my research by googling tips and tricks on catching Smurfs ala Gargamel).



And if you're a fan of stories about the apocalypse, this free webcomic from Warren Ellis is very entertaining. Check out Freakangels. He had me at "free".

By the way, is there some record for having the most hyperlinks with the shortest amount of text in a blog? I think I just broke it.

Excelsior.




Word count: 542

2 comments:

Master Joh said...

I still believe that Zombieland is the best zombie movie of all time. Where can you get teenage drama and zombies in one movie? It's even coming up with a sequel... A SEQUEL!

Khairy Alonto said...

Dude, you have to watch Dawn of the Dead if you haven't seen it yet. Zombieland was fun, but check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LUzJAsa-gg