Monday, June 28, 2010

Lebron in NYC?






I have been a fan of the NBA since I was a kid.

Back in the 80's while we watched games from betamax tapes from the video rental store near our place in Bel Air, I was cheering for Magic's Showtime Lakers and hated Larry Bird's moustache and the dreaded Boston Celtics. But now, even if Jackie Moon might somehow be based on the Basketball Jesus, I can honestly say that Larry Bird was a more formidable basketball player and a better team player than Magic. And looking back, I wonder if he could be just as good if he was on another team?

In the Nineties, I always rooted for teams against the Bulls just to piss off my brother who worshipped his Airness (I had to be a secret MJ fan for most of the time). So I was rooting for the Pistons (until I saw this) and I did want Barkley to win it in ‘93– but still I think hands down MJ is the greatest basketball player ever. But I always wondered what if he signed with the Knicks?

It’s a totally different scenario for Lebron – he doesn’t get to sign with a Patrick (Ewing or Riley). He won’t have Oak to get his rebounds. He instead gets a zero-defense D’Antoni and a clean slate of a roster. He may get other stars to sign with him and he might become the new King of New York, but unfortunately he also gets Eddie Curry.

If Lebron resigns with the Cavs, his chances of winning the title are very slim. But with NYC, everyone wins. Well, except Ohio. And of course, President Obama might have something to say about it.

But I really think the pros far outweigh the cons. Go Knicks!

No comments: