Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Kung Fu Kid?

I know - the title of this post is too easy. I may have missed out on something on why it was called "The Karate Kid" and not "The Kung Fu Kid", but I still enjoyed the movie. Besides, I had little expectations from the movie, considering it was reinventing the classic Mr. Miyagi franchise and considering it had the son of an uber-celebrity starring along with a very old Jackie Chan. (Whenever I see a child of a celebrity in a movie, I get a fictional scene in my head of Mikey Arroyo asking Mommy President to be in an action movie so he can play out the fantasy of being more invincible than FPJ and Lito Lapid combined + being more irresistible to women than Rene Requestas and Weng Weng combined.)



So just maybe Jaden Smith pitched the idea to Dad Will and Mom Jada on being the new Karate Kid – except he wants the cooler style of Kung-fu Panda and not of a local dojo karate class. If you get over this dilemma of not being aptly titled as quickly as I did, then the movie should be a worthy investment of time and popcorn.



The fight scenes were exceptional, especially the tournament battles. And even if I somewhat subscribed before to Bill Simmon's take on remaking this movie, I want my son to watch it and hopefully be influenced in learning martial arts (so that maybe ten years from now I can fulfill my dream of having a bodyguard free of cost).

Would I watch “The Karate Kid” again? Yes - to both Ralph Macchio and Jaden Smith’s version. I just hope there won’t be another lame-@$$ sequel like Karate Kid 2 or The Next Karate Kid. Although the Peter Cetera song rocked (...just kidding).

No comments: