Wednesday, July 28, 2010

That's one big bonus!

If you are on the board of the Metroplitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS), you get Php 50,000 monthly, some Php20k to 30k for Representation and Transportation Allowance (RATA), an additional Php 14,000 for every board meeting attended (it's an incentive I guess to generate attendance), plus an annual grocery allowance of Php 80k and also Php1 Million when your term ends.

I read that from this article as well as from President Aquino's State of the Nation Address. If you want to read it word per word, then go here.

Looking at the figures above, it just makes me want to kick myself in the nads.
What do they meet about that merits Php14,000 per meeting? I wish I get even a fraction of that for every meeting I attend. Maybe someone opens their board meeting like this:

"Ah, Mester Cherman, I tink we should foot a blockage in the sewage sistem of makati, farticularly in da area of pasong tamo so dat we have samting to pix, you know."

But seriously, I think our water system can be better. And maybe these allowances can be diverted into something else (like actually fixing Pasong Tamo! 10 minutes of hard rain equals knee-level water and congested traffic hell!).

But in a country where you have to pass the Civil Service Commission Subprofessional exam to clean latrines of government offices or chauffeur government vehicles but you don't need to pass the same exam to become President, Senator, Congressman, Governor, Mayor, or a blogger- well, what the f**k do you expect?

No comments: